Scargill Castle in Co. Durham, Yorkshire
Scargill Castle in Co. Durham, Barnard Castle, Yorkshire – Built in 1560 on the Site of an Earlier Medieval Castle
The property was built in 1560 on the site of an earlier medieval castle and has recently been restored into a lovely retreat for two. There is a blend of both historic character and modern comforts. There is private parking leading through a gate into the courtyard gardens.
The arched entrance hall leads into a dining hall with long oak table. There are ornate roof beams carved from 400 year old oak trees. The halls leads into a bright kitchen that overlooks the Tudor gardens.
There are stone spiral stairs that lead up to the living room with oak floors and a wood burning stove set within a Tudor fireplace. Further up the staircase is a romantic bedroom with double bed on an oak floor and Persian rugs. There are windows to the east and west with views of the walled garden and the high moors beyond.
from £186 per night (Rural Retreats)
Scargill, Co. Durham, Barnard Castle, Yorkshire
About the location:
- Ground floor: Entrance hall below an arched roof with access out through full height oak double doors to the fully enclosed courtyard gardens. Kitchen with breakfast table and garden views. Bathroom with roll topped bath, separate steam shower cubicle, antique wash stand and WC. Dining room with long oak table, stone floors and oak ceilings and rural views through arched glass and oak doors.
- Stone spiral staircase (uneven steps and low head room) lead to the first floor sitting room with wood burning stove and window seat with fine views.
- Stone spiral staircase continues to the top floor bedroom with 4’6 bed, exposed beams and beautiful views.
- Pets welcome (up to two well-behaved dogs/ small charge per dog)
- Minimum of a three night stay
Key features & amenities:
- Wood burning stove
- Enclosed, courtyard gardens
- Property is located on the edge of a working farm
- Two designated parking spaces are available
- Roll top bath
- Window seat
- Historic building means surfaces can be uneven and rooms are over three floors with the bedroom on the top floor and the bathroom on the ground floor
- Original exposed, roof beams
- Garden furniture, barbecue and herb and vegetable garden.
- Stone floors to ground floor with underfloor heating, central heating, solid oak floors to the first and second floors, antique furniture.
- Digital TV, DVD player, iPod Dock.
- Microwave, fridge/freezer/dishwasher, electric cooker.
- Laundry room in external byre with washing machine/ tumble dryer.
Activities & things-to-do:
- Pubs and restaurants
- The Morritt Arms at Greta Bridge, an 18th and 19th century coaching inn
- Milbank Arms in Barningham, one of eleven pubs in England which still have no bar
- Barnard Castle with a number of places to eat
- Blagraves on The Bank, once a stopping off point for Oliver Cromwell
- Village of Romaldkirk has the Rose and Crown
- Scargill with many walking opportunities and links with the Pennine Way.
- Short drive of the Yorkshire Dales, The Lake District and North Pennines with amazing walks
Looking for more UK holiday cottage rentals?
—> Discover romantic cottages for couples
—> Find large cottages to rent