The Shippen in Membury, Devon
The Shippen in Membury, Devon – A Ground Floor, Stone-built Detached Cottage
The Shippen is a historic cottage at Wellands near Axminster. The cottage has an elevated position and offers you panoramic views stretching for miles to the north and south. Views extend across the Yarty Valley with patterns of fields. There is a long tree-lined drive leading to a spacious parking area.
from £130 per night (Rural Retreats)
About the location:
This property is located at the Devon, Somerset and Dorset borders and only a few miles away from the Jurassic Coast. The cottage is surrounded by apple orchards, farmland and woodlands. There is a bluebell wood and river access within a kilometre walk. This area is host to a lot of wildlife like deer, badger, rabbits and birds. It is also the perfect place for stargazing!
- Ground floor: combined sitting and dining room with adjoining kitchen, glass doors that open onto terrace with stunning views
- Two steps lead to a double bedroom suite with 5’ bed, shower room and french doors looking over the steps down to the lawn. Second bedroom with a 6’ double bed. A study adjoining the second bedroom and a separate bathroom.
- Pets allowed (one dog welcome)
- Minimum of two night stay
- No smoking allowed
Key features & amenities:
- Accommodation on the ground floor
- Two bedrooms, one with en-suite shower room
- Separate bathroom
- Wood burning stove (free standing)
- Plenty of parking space
- Free WiFi
- Beautiful views
- Sitting and dining area with glass doors which open onto the terrace
- Electric hob and oven, microwave, fridge with freezer compartment, dishwasher, washer/dryer
- 32’’ flatscreen digital TV, DVD, CD, radio, iPod dock
- Travel cot and highchair available on request
- Barbecue and charcoal available
- Table tennis available (adjacent barn)
- Village tennis courts can be used by arrangement
- Guest use of a paddock
Activities & things-to-do:
- Horse riding
- Table tennis
- There are three local family-run farm shops
- River Cottage HQ and Canteen
- Many eateries and pubs with good food and beer
- Tuckers Arms in Dalwood
- Cider is made in the main barn
- The seaside town of Lyme Regis (World Heritage Site for fossils) is a 20 minute drive.
- Branscombe, Beer, Axmouth and Charmouth are down the coast.
- Within a 40 minute drive is Dartmoor and Exmoor.
- The town of Honiton with many antiques and second-hand books
- Over the border into Dorset are many Iron Age Hill Forts
- The Dark Sky area, perfect for astronomy enthusiasts
Looking for more UK holiday cottage rentals?
—> Discover romantic cottages for couples
—> Find large cottages to rent